Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Spotlight on French Market Stitch



If you thought sexy costumes were only for exotic entertainers, you’d be wrong! Olga of French Market Stitch creates burlesque style corsets for all sorts of occasions! Halloween, women who want to take pin-up photos for that special someone, and (my favorite!) themed parties!
As I’m sure you guessed, French Market Stitch is located in beautiful New Orleans, which is also where my family happens to be from! Love it! And it’s the perfect place to find inspiration for her beautiful outfits!
From the brightly bold to the subtly sultry, The French Market Stitch has an outfit that’s sure to make all your other clothes jealous!


These are two of my absolute FAVORITES from her line! As a ginger I think I’d pull off the green pretty well.. ;)
I asked her to share with us what got her started and what inspires her pieces.
“My business came about because one Halloween I wanted a burlesque costume, but everything I saw online was either too expensive or I didn't like the style. At the time I remembered that I had an old corset in the closet and decided that maybe I could do something with it. After I decorated it and totally embellished it, added a feather bustle and fringe, etc., I had myself my first burlesque costume. I got so many compliments on it that Halloween that it kind of started the ball rolling, and ever since then, I started making them out of my garage at night.”

“I look for color combinations that I really like, something that's more old school and not too wild. I like the old-timey feel to my costumes. I also really like brightly colored gem colors, so I try to incorporate that into my style.”
I asked her what her favorite outfit was that she makes and I was excited to hear that it was one of my favorites as well!
“I love the Kali costume because it's dark and mysterious I feel. It's one of the ones I've had the longest. I like the black on black color and the lace dot overlay on the corset.”

When asked what advice she would give to anyone who is thinking of starting their own business or opening a shop on a site like Etsy she had this to say:
“For me it was easy because I found something that I loved to do. So I think that's the most important part. Find something you love to do and keep at it. Someone will appreciate it somewhere.”
Sometimes the simple advice is the best advice. If you do what you love you 
never work a day in your life!

I hope you enjoyed seeing the wonderful products from French Market Stitch. Take a moment and visit her shop to see more wonderful pieces like these!






2 comments:

  1. Wow! Loving French Market Stitches outfits! Its so great to find someone making such beautiful alternative clothing on etsy - thanks so much for sharing such a great interview :D

    ReplyDelete